Hitler's foreign policy
- greater germany
- destroy treaty of versailles
- re-militiration of rhineland
- airforce (luftwaffe)
Auchluss - united austria and germany (master race) aryan race
sudentenland - german speaking Czech took over
british and french policy of appeasement
Czech- took over rest of Czech (lebenscraum)
pact with stalin to divide poland between them "pact of steel"
invaded poland 1st september '39
france and britain declared war
1. Codename given to the german invasion of Russia
2. Hitler wanted to invade russia because;
- biggest enemy
- access to oil fields
3. Three pronged attack
- Stalingrad (Moscow)
4. Stalin called on Russia to fight the Great Patriotic War.
5. Russians were outnumbered and used two tactics to try and combat the Germans
- Scorched earth policy -> destroy crops and communication lines
- Using the elements -> Russia had very cold winters and German were unprepared
6. This led to the final battle of Stalingrad
- Germans led by General Von Paulus and the russians knowing their cities and the severe weather made the Germans surrender
7. Major turning point of world war II
BATTLE OF BRITAIN
1.Winston Churchill takes over as prime minister fro Neville Chamberlain
2. 1940 following the fall of france
dunkirk- considered a victory for the english as they rescued their own troops
3. english airforce (RAF) VS German airforce (Luftwaffe)
4. codenamed by Hitler Operation sealion which is the invasion of britain
5. Germany had more aircrafts however radar proved hugely beneficial for the english
6. Hitler abandoned the attack on airfields and began attacking cities (london) this was called the Blitz -> this is seen by some as a mistake as if he had continued he would have won.
7. Hitler abandoned bombing Britain and turned his attention to russia. Britain considered this a victory "Never in the history of human conflict was so much owed by som many to so few.
- this marks a turning point in WWII
D- DAY / OPERATION OVERLORD
1. d-Day = deliverance day
invasion of france - codenamed operation overlord - to liberate france from Germany
2. it was an operation from 3 fronts
britain coming down
USA coming from Pacific
Russia red army coming across from eastern Europe
3. tricked German into believing the attack was going to be in Calias NOT Normandy beaches
4. General Eisenhower bombed German defenses, Atlantic wall, dropped paratroopers
5. 5 beaches codenamed Utah, Omaha, Gold, Juno and Sword -> warships and landing crafts
6. mulberg piers (artificial harbours)-> tanks and trucks "pipeline under the ocean" ->oil(pluto)
-> protected by airplanes
7. Allies -> Paris - Battle of Bulge (setback)
strong nazi resistance
HITLER'S ECONOMIC POLICY
1. Election campaign
- 1932: 6 million Germans were unemployed due to the wall street crash and the depression. Hitler promised to end this.
2. Hitler banned Trade Unions and he decided wage levels and working conditions of workers. A pay freeze was also brought in.
3. Women were taken out of the workforce
- There place was in the home
- Jews were taken out of the workforce also as they were not of Aryan race -> this created more Jobs for male Germans
4. Organised huge public work schemes e.g Autobahn was built as a result of this scheme.
5. Rearmament decided by Hitler meant an increase in the size of the army and an increase in production of weapons (Rhineland, against Versailles treaty)
6. Car industry was developed - cheap available cars were made e.g Beatle. Cheap radios were also produced.
7. Unemployment fell to 300000 in 1939