When studying I listen to music. Is that a good thing or a bad thing?
Hi Josephine, The answer to this really depends on what music you are listening to and what subjects you are studying. Most teachers will tell you that music is a distraction and that there will be no music playing in the exam. However, recent research has shown that the certain types of music actually heighten concentration. A study of form the University of Phoenix gave the following tips which you may find helpful
- Try listening to music without lyrics. Lyrics can be distracting, whereas instrumental music heightens concentration.
- Try listening to slow- or medium-paced music.
- Try to avoid music with loud drumbeats, like rock or heavy metal.
- Try to avoid music that is new. You may find yourself paying closer attention to music that is not familiar.
- Try playing music quietly in the background.
- Try to continue one style of studying, such as memorization or maths, when listening to a particular type of music.
Just remember that there will be no music in the exams!
Also, for the subject 'Music', listening to Music is obviously a good thing. Not sure if you shud be listening to music while studying for it at the same time tho.