Desertification - Causes
• Desertification is where the land is turning into desert.
• The worst place for desertification is at the edges of the worlds existing deserts.
• The SAHEL is a region that lies across Africa on the edges of the Sahara desert and it suffers badly from desertification.
Desertification - Results and Solutions
• Hundreds of thousands of people have died due to famine – Sudan and Ethiopia
• Millions are forced to migrate in search of food and aid – many live in refugee camps.
• Many people move to urban areas leading to growth of slums
• Millions of animals died
• Lots of land is unsuitable for agriculture
• Towns and villages have been swallowed up by the sand
1. Irrigation Schemes to encourage plants to grow and to hold the soil together. (Aswan Dam Scheme)
2. Afforestation Schemes to plant trees and shrubs that would hold the soil together
3. Limit animal numbers – so that vegetation would be able to grow and allow the soil to bind together
4. Chose crops that are drought resistant – that have long tap roots